LEADER- FOLLOWER RELATIONSHIP IN A LOCAL CHURCH
- Followers should submit and give their hearts to a faithful and godly leaders in the church (Jdg.5:2; 2Co.6:13; Heb.13:17; 1Ti.5:17).
- In the leader -follower relationship in the local church setting, leaders should not boss over their followers (1Pe.5:2; 2Co.1:24; Isa.40:11; Eze.34:2-5).
- Leaders –follower relationship should be based on setting a living example to the followers and persuade them with righteous life (2Co.7:2; 1Co.11:1; 2Th.3:7).
- God’s people in the church are expected to follow their leaders as long as they take responsibility to nurture and lead them to God’s purposed destiny( Col.1:28;Mt.28:19-20;Jer.3:15;Ps.78:72).
- Leader-follower relationship in the church should be founded on love to the follower and responsibility to God’s eternal purpose (1Th.2:4, 7, 11; Ga.4:19; 1Co.4:14-15).
Submissiveness of followers to their leaders of a noble character is important for the church to accomplish God’s purpose. Leader’s attitude towards their follower must rely on the love they have for them and the commitment they received from God. Other than this, treating followers as an individual subject and leading them harshly is not the right relationship. Rather leading followers by presenting oneself as an example and impacting positively is expected from the leader. The relationship will last long as the leader really work towards developing his follower to maturity and leads them to where God destined them to reach in life.